Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Fuel Saving - Electricity

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:01:58 +0100, Paul wrote:

You can save a lot more for electricity by looking at costs per unit.

Agreed and using CFLs.

I changd over and have now got a cheaper unit price and no standing
charge. For gas I pay less than half of what british gas want, and no
standing charge.

Do you really mean "no standing charge" or a tarrif that says it has "no
standing charge" but the first X units cost more than those after?
Curiously the price difference between the two rates times the number of
units at the higher rate equals the standing charge...

There are tarrifs that truely have no standing charge and have a single
rate for all units. Equipower and Equigas I know of, there may be others.
Very handy if you have a low usage. However if you always use enough
units to pay all the hidden standing charge you'll probaly be better off
looking at standing charge tarrifs with a single, lower, per unit cost.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail