Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
DGG DGG is offline

Default Review: Delta 16" VS Lathe 46-756 (Long)

DGG said:

In conclusion, nothing jumps out and screams CRAP as with some
products - built to a price point, perhaps, but what isn't. Long term
usage should reveal more information, but that's it for now. I believe
that, nits aside and based on the cost and my somewhat limited turning
experience, the Delta 16" Lathe was a good buy overall.

For those still interested, here is a photo of the complete setup:
(Yea, I swept the floor for the picture.)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...theSetup01.jpg

The leg height risers are constructed of glued layers of 1/2" OSB.

Details of DIY Vacuum Chuck:
(Rotary Bearing milled from HDPE, 1/6" Duro 40 Buna-N, junkbox stuff.)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...uumChuck01.jpg

Details of Big-Ass DIY 16" Sander:
(Used for sanding wedges and rings for large segmented vessels.)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...kSander01l.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...kSander02l.jpg

And while I'm at it, a DIY sharpening station built from scraps:
(Quicker to have a dedicated rest for each tool angle.
I resisted a jig but sharpening is quicker and the tools last longer.)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...gStation01.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...gStation02.jpg

FWIW