Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default What happened toThompsons Water seal?

Del Cecchi wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Shopdog wrote:
ok, I just got off the phone with Thompsons, I was told that in my
region
due to EPA regs they are not allow to ship solvent based product. So,
they
now make the water seal with a water base. It was always safe to use
as the
solvent evaporated over a few days when it was solvent based and they
say
that now since it is water based it is even more safe to use.

She was referring to the risk of fire and explosion when applying the
product. The old product was wax dissolved in a fammable solvent.
The new product is something (possibly wax and an emulsifier)
dissolved in a nonflammable solvent.

Unless the dissolved solids in the new product are non-combustable,
and I don't think that there are any noncombustable waxes, using it
on canvas will still increase the fire risk associated with the
water-prooofed
aterial just as with the old product.

It may be possible to use the MSDS to deduce the material deposited
on the canvas.

All that solvent evaporating pollutes the air.

Yes, that is why the volotile organic content of virtually all finishes
has
been drastically reduced in recent years.

Some places can't handle
the extra. The EPA is not concerned with your safety.

Of course they are. Reducing air polution is a human safety issue.

--

FF