Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air Conditioner (Split Unit) Compressor Location

In article ,
"Gripper" writes:
Hi
just back from trip to France & Spain- visited local DIY shed (BricoDepot)
saw a split aircon unit for 199 euros. It's a heating/cooling type with two
units. At that price I couldn't resist. I'm now planning the install, and
despite the instructions and instructional DVD being in French it seems
fairly straightforward.
My question is : is it possible/advisable to mount the compressor unit (that
would normally go on an outside wall) in the loft space? We have a largeish
house (6 bedrooms) with a correspondingly large loft.

As others have said, no because it won't be able to get rid of
the heat. Another factor is there are usually relative height
restrictions between the indoor and outdoor units. Check the
instructions as you may well find the outdoor unit has to be
lower than the indoor unit. (They can be made to work the
other way round, but the DIY ones don't seem to be.)

--
Andrew Gabriel