Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful . mrcheerful                                                                          . is offline

Default Air Conditioner (Split Unit) Compressor Location

"Gripper" wrote in message
Hi
just back from trip to France & Spain- visited local DIY shed (BricoDepot)
saw a split aircon unit for 199 euros. It's a heating/cooling type with
two units. At that price I couldn't resist. I'm now planning the install,
and despite the instructions and instructional DVD being in French it
seems fairly straightforward.
My question is : is it possible/advisable to mount the compressor unit
(that would normally go on an outside wall) in the loft space? We have a
largeish house (6 bedrooms) with a correspondingly large loft.
Aside from making the installation easy, it saves mounting an ugly box on
an outside wall.
The aircon would be used rarely, to heat or cool a bedroom at times, so
wouldn't be running anywhere like 24/7.
Any thoughts?
TIA
Neil

it puts out hot damp air and maybe even a stream of water, it also relies on
cooler air to take the heat away, so no, the loft is not suitable.

mrcheerful (6 air con units at home, plus giant ones at work)