Posted to alt.home.repair
PaulD PaulD is offline

Default Fixing Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor Update 2

I haven't checked for spark yet because I really would not expect
the engine to start at its current cranking speed. Once I get the
cranking problem fixed, I'll trouble shoot any remaining problems.

Rich256 wrote: Your problem of getting suction but not exhaust sort
of rules out an
open valve. More like one is permanently closed and that would likely
be something broke. If one is open you probably would not notice either
suction or puff.

Actually, I am getting exhaust, but not suction. Is that likely
caused by an permanently closed valve also?

I suppose the next step is to open up the head. When you say that
something is likely broke in the valves, is that a problem caused by
wear or am I going to need to look for another problem that might have
caused something to break? Could it be something as simple as a broken
spring? The engine was made in 1993 so I am not sure that I want to
invest alot of money in it. That is why I am trying to repair this on
my own, even though I am not much of a mechanic. I do think with some
help I could replace a broken spring or valve.

Ether or anyone else who can answer: Do you think the possible
valve problem is causing the cranking problem? Or do I still maybe
need a new starter?

In the event that I need to work of vavles, the repair manual says
that to get to the valve chamber I need to take off the carb and intake
manifold. I am not sure I need to do this. I think I could get to the
valve chamber by taking off just the crankcase breather. If so, I
think that would make any valve repairs a little easier. In any event,
if I need to do any work on the valves, I think I'll give a call for
help from a friend who has more experience in these matters.
:
PaulD wrote:
Pulling the head and replacing it looks fairly simple per the
repair manual. If I need to repair something in the valves, however,
I'll probably need to seek help from a friend who knows more than I do.
That looks fairly complex on this engine.
If I take off the head, what exactly should I be looking for. I
suppose if I find a stuck or poorly working valve, the next question is
what is causing the problem. For example, if I find a broken valve
stem, do I need to just replace it or is there more trouble shooting
involved to figure out why it broke.

With the head off, turning the engine over slowly you will see the
valves open and close. All closed during the compression and power
stroke. Only one open at a time during the intake and exhaust. Both
closed during the compression and power.

I once saw a valve stuck open to where just some penetrating oil and
twisting got it working again. And I have had them stuck open due to
carbon. A wire brushing fixed that one.

Your problem of getting suction but not exhaust sort of rules out an
open valve. More like one is permanently closed and that would likely
be something broke. If one is open you probably would not notice either
suction or puff.

Anyway, I have found it is normally a very easy task on a small engine.
And if nothing else gives me a chance to clean off any accumulated carbon.

How about spark? I have not noticed any mention of that.

I had an different problem just a short time ago. An old engine was
surging. Thought it might be ready for the scrap heap. The wire to the
kill switch ran through a little support hole on the casting. The wire
looked rather old and the cover brittle. Moving it around seemed to
change the surging. I put a good insulated sleeve over the wire and it
runs like normal again.