Posted to alt.home.repair
PaulD PaulD is offline

Default Fixing Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor Update 2

Pulling the head and replacing it looks fairly simple per the
repair manual. If I need to repair something in the valves, however,
I'll probably need to seek help from a friend who knows more than I do.
That looks fairly complex on this engine.
If I take off the head, what exactly should I be looking for. I
suppose if I find a stuck or poorly working valve, the next question is
what is causing the problem. For example, if I find a broken valve
stem, do I need to just replace it or is there more trouble shooting
involved to figure out why it broke.
Rich256 wrote:
PaulD wrote:
I spent some more time trying to figure this thing out and now I find
we need to backtrack again.

I tried the test again where you crank the engine with finger covering
the spark plug holes. When I cranked it using the starter I thought I
felt puffs and suction from both cylinders. This time I had my helper
just turn the flywheel while I had fingers over the holes. I got a got
puff and suction from one cylinder. On the other cylinder, however, I
got a puff, but little or no suction. So maybe Ether's original
thought is right about a valve problem? What should I do now?

Is it easy to pull the heads? Usually just a few bolts. Then you could
see the valves working.