Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default $1200

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:35:30 -0500, DK wrote:

I repeat this when I hear the words 'heat exchanger'.

"
You have been punked!

There is no such thing as a bad heat exchanger. It is just a ploy by
hvac criminals to get your money.

Think about it.
So what if the heat exchanger leaks. There are millions of homes

If nothing else, it will make everything in your house dirty. The
combustion of oil is rarely perfect, aiui, and certain in a furnace so
old that the heat exchanger leaks, it probably isn't.

Gas is supposed to be cleaner even when the oil and gas furnaces are
in pretty good condition. I can only guess if the HE is broken.

CO detector very important. My brother talked me into getting one, an
d 3 months later it went off. The pipe heading to the chimney was
mostly clogged with soot. Only a 2 inch empty hole at the end. My
detector is about 10 feet from my head, a foot above the floor (though
they say it doens't much matter) and it was loud enough to wake me up.
It displays the amount of CO and it would have I guess taken 3 days to
kill me, but otoh, it woke me up at 2 in the morning. Maybe the sun
and alarm clock wouldn't have woken me at 8. Then I'd be in bed 3
dyas until I died????

I turned off the furnace and opened the bedroom window. I wanted to
close it because my bedroom was getting colder and colder, and there
would be no more heat that night. but I didnt think I could. I think
I waited 30 or 45 minutes and closed the window. Eitehr I didn't
think of looking at the numbers on the CO detector or I didn't trust
them, and the number disappears when it is below a certain level.

heated by natural gas and propane that dump 100% of the flue gases
into the home.

And funny thing is, they have been using this heating system for a
couple of hundred years without a problem.

The only precaution I suggest you use is to buy a couple of detectors
and hang one near your bed and another in your living quarters down
low. Many are made to plug in the wall socket and are just the right
height to give you an early warning.

Their solution: $1500. Mine: $40.
"