Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default My Plans Postings

Those of you that've been here all week will already know about all
of this stuff, so you're welcome to pass it buy.

There've been a few of people lately wondering on why I post plans
like I do. Actually, one called them spam. I'm not trying to sell
anything so they aren't spam.
I'll try to keep it all pretty brief, and simple for those of you
with a short attention span. I post the plans one link at a time,
rather than a page with a whole list of links for a reason. Actually
everything I do I have a reason for it. But a LOT of people think that
just because they don't know the reason, that ther is no reason.

Anyway, some people here, quite a few as I understand it, have to
pay by the minute for their computer access. For them to have to sift
thru a list of links for maybe one, or two, they can use is not only
making them spend money doing this, I consider it impolite to make them
do so. So, I post links I think may be of interest, one link at a time.
Got it now? I also put the posts with plans links in all caps - so
people can tell it's a plan link, and pass it by if they want. Usually
the subject is ppretty much self explanatory, sometimes not. Usualy if
it's not so clear I try to put an explanation in the post. Usually does
not mean every single time.

Then we get the people that bitch about me posting plans. They're
plans people, free plans. If you don't want to use it, no prob. If you
don't want to look at it, no prob. Of all the people that bitch about
the amount, type, or quality, of the plans I post, I don't recall seing
even one of those people posting any plan. Yet they bitch.

And no, I do not spend my time surfing the web looking for plans to
post. Hell, even my kids would be lucky to get me to look for a plan
for them, so I'm sure not going to wast my time looking for plans to
post. I find the plans by searching - for projects, or interests, for
my own use. As surprising as it may seem to some of you, most of my
searches aren't even related to woodworking. But even the most arcane
seach often turns up woodworking plans. I post some of the woodworking
plans I think will be of interest. And a few I just think are funny.
Or, will **** some of the too tight people off - that's always fun.
Most of the really good plans aren't about wood at all, but those
rarely, if ever, get posted.. Also, which may surprise you, I've never
posted more than 10% of the plans I've found, usually the ratio is more
like 1%-5% of what I run across. I very seldom post pay plans, unless
it's something especially interesting, and they put PAY in the subject
line. I post free plans.

Any time you see a minor flood of plans posts by me, then you can
bet I'm making a search for something. By search, I meanmultiple
searches, changing words in the search phrases, over and over. I don't
stop after checking just on page or two. I check at least 10 pages, and
normally more. So in one sitting I may do up to 30-40 different
searches. Those woodworking searches I make, still for myself, are
possibly 50%-75% using googal image searches. I seldom use plans, but
so get new ideas from what other's have done.

When I run across something that might be us use, or interesting,
it only takes a few seconds to post it. So why not? By the way, I
don't do plans requests. So don't even bother to ask. You want a plan,
then check the archives (chances are one's already been posted at some
time or another) or do your own search.

Oh yeah, every once in awhile I run across something neat, but no
plans, so I post an INSPIRATION post. Making your own plans with that
as the inspiration is the point.

There's gonna be a few of you that aren't going to get it, but
that's OK. Ask all the questions you want. Just don't count on
answers.

And remember, if you think you're time is too valuable to "waste"
it searching for plans, don't think anyone's time is worth so little
they'll be willing to search it for you. After all, if it's not worth
spending your own time, for something "you" want, why should you ask
someone else to do it if there's nothing in it for them? Those are
often the guys that claim they've just spend $1500 or so for a table saw
and then want someone to find a free plan for them. And too often want
it e-mailed to them. Hah! You want a plan, or an answer to a question,
if it's important enough to post, it's important enough to check back
for replies.

Rason this is so long is, I just got thru searching for some info I
needed. Got the info, but it's too lade to make noise out in the shop,
so decided to post this.

By the way, for those that aren't aware, I'm the High Priest of the
Woodworking Gods - I handle all their admin work. If you don't want
them ****ed at you it's considered police to send them a small sacrifce,
in care of me. No blood or burnt sacrifices, a bit of nice wood will do.
A slightly used virgin (human only), expecially if she likes housework,
would also be acceptable - human. For you sickos that send goats, I'm
not gonna ask what your relationship with them was, but they'll just be
used for BBQ - and the Woodworking Gods don't like goat BBQ. Be warned.
And that captal W and capital G. Be doubly warned. But if you do send
an acceptable sacrifice they're good buddys with the Car Gods - Manny,
Moe, and Jack.

Life is basically good.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.