Posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Constant-temperature dehumidification

wmbjk wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:20:06 -0400, Joe Fischer
wrote:

On Fri, wmbjk wrote:

No, I don't believe it, and neither would any logical person. Of
course if you can deny the well-established cause of the common
cold, then I suppose you won't have any trouble denying that you're
illogical as well.

Maybe you can tell us how many different bacterial
and viral diseases go by the name "common cold".

Why would I do that? Any web search you do will show that there are
hundreds, but that none are called "dry nose" or whatever.

If you premise were correct, if nobody got a cold
all summer, then there would be no cold germs around.

No, that doesn't follow at all. Being exposed to a virus doesn't mean
you'll catch a cold. Yet it's both easy to come into contact with a
virus, and difficult for the virus to take hold. You can dramatically
increase the odds of avoiding affliction by using common sense, such
as hand washing before putting your hands near your face after
visiting a crowded store full of kiddies for example.

I see you claim as requiring that the total reservoir
of cold germs are in the nasal passages and airways of
humans.

I'm getting that you see the facts however you like.

I have to think the germs are more widespread than
that, and exist with or without humans.

How would that help rationalize your belief that colds aren't always
caused by "germs"?

The link you provided seems to say that colds are
the result of the germs overwhelming the immune system,
and that it is possible for a person to be exposed and still
ward off the bad cold.

Of course. And IIRC, if one has already been exposed to a particular
virus, then one is unlikely to develop a cold from further exposure to
the same virus.

Are you claiming that a person gets a cold just
because they come in contact with somebody with a cold,
and never get a cold otherwise?

I'm not claiming anything, just telling you the facts.
You can't catch a cold without being exposed to a virus.

And the evidence for that last is that those who 'live' in isolated
environments like lighthouses etc dont ever get colds regardless
of what the room humidity is, because there are no viruses around.

Its less clear scientifically whether the room humidity has any effect
on the infection rate when there are viruses around. Its unlikely in
my opinion and the most likely reason why so many older people
dont get colds anymore is likely just because they are immune to
the vast bulk of cold seen, just because they have had so much
more exposure to them than say kids ever get, just due to the
vastly higher number of years of exposure to them and the fact that
its been carefully established that there are so many strains extant.