Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann bill allemann is offline

Default treated 4X4 into concrete

The weight of the gate isn't very much, just 36" wide wood construction,
pretty much like a door.
And I could hide a guy wire along the adjoining section of fence to help
with the weight of the gate.
also, the concrete won't move. it will be part of a fairly large slab.
I'm mainly concerned about whether direct contact with concrete is bad
regarding
rotting of the treated wood.

Bill

"buffalobill" wrote in message
ups.com...
a pressure treated 6"x6" was too small it leans after 10 years on mine
which is holding up a heavy steel framed wooden driveway gate on
hinges.
next time i would secure an 8x8 instead. we installed as if it is a
fencepost in your soil and climate and frost level requirements first.
then installed the driveway slab. but next time we'll try a wheel on
that heavy gate to roll on the driveway and take some of the gate
weight.

bill allemann wrote:
I need to install a treated 4X4 as a gate post through a slab (yet to be
poured).
I can't surface install on one of those galv brackets, because the 4X4
needs
to support
a gate and small fence section.
Would the 4X4 last better if cast right into concrete, or should I make a
well for it, filled with compacted aggregate?
The bottom of an aggregate well can connect to grade for drainage.

Thanks,
Bill