Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] JayPique@hotmail.com is offline

Default Large quarter-round molding

I brought this up over on rec.woodworking, and they recommended I take
it here. The gist of it is as follows...

(this was copied from a post over at rec.ww)
snip
The typical way we make large turning blanks is to glue
four pieces of thick stock into long square tubing using 45d miters.
So it's hollow in the middle. I don't know, he was pretty dismissive.
In any event, if I want to hop on the lathe at work (after I dig it out

from under two tons of crap), is this the process by which I should do
it.....

I need (4) three foot lengths of quarter round with a 3" radius. So I
take (4) 3 foot lengths of 3.125"x3.125" stock and glue them together
with a piece of grocery bag in between. Then I screw on a faceplate,
being sure that it's centered on the intersection of all four pieces.
Then I mount it on the lathe, and align the interesection at the other
end with the tailstock center. Then I turn it round to 6". Once done,

I simply take it off the lathe and split it apart - I'm assuming with a

chisel pounded into the glue joints?

Sounds very nifty. Have I missed anything?

TIA
JP