Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] flansp78@hotmail.com is offline

Default $1200

dkhedmo wrote:
Been in our new house coming up on two weeks now. (Our first house, an
early '50's ranch on a slab.) So far, an unexpected plumbing repair has
cost $1200, and today's chimney inspection has revealed a problem with a
fix costing $1200. Lemme guess what the electrician is going to say on
Monday to upgrade the panel: $1200?! I need an aspirin.

-Karen-

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeownership. A house of that age,
which has not been maintained properly will require repairs. Depending
on the level of maintainace previoulsy performed will result in the
cost of the repairs now. Take your time and check the home over and
determine what needs to be done now and what can wait. If this is your
first house, then your about to learn alot. After you prioritize your
repairs, talk to several contractors about the repairs and get written
estimates. This, of course, is if your not going to do the work
yourself. Find a competent contractor, don't just look at the cost and
you'll be happy with the repair.