Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Heating question

On 22 Sep 2006 10:44:48 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

Where do you get your information? Heat sources, as you call them,
are NOT installed under windows for the reasons you mention.
Radiators, either electric or hot water, are installed on OUTSIDE walls
because of convection.......Cooler walls cause the warmer air to rise,
which in turn, cause warm air to circulate.

Paul

If the air from a heat source is warmer than the ambient air, it rises
because it is less dense and therefore buoyant. The walls don't cause
the air to rise.

If you want to dismiss my advice, feel free. Just keep the rag handy
to keep the condensation off your windows and stock up on mildew
cleaner.

P.S. Next time you go to other people's houses, look where the heat
souces are in relation to windows. Maybe your house is odd. (The
original poster's example demonstrates what I'm talking about.)

Radiators are frequently put in cold spots to prevent a situation
where you have the coldest air in the room falling in front of the
window, and flowing across the floor to the radiator, and then
rising, which creates strong drafts and a cold floor.
Putting the radiator under the window results in weaker
drafts, and a shallower thermal gradient in the room.

Forced air systems may behave differently.