Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Heating question

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

The heat sources are located in proximity to the greatest heat loss
areas i.e. windows so that the room heats more evenly, it has nothing to
do with condensation or mold. Move the radiator to an interior wall and
you're far more likely to have a steep temperature gradient from over
hot by the radiator to bloody chilly by the window.

Pete C.

I agree with the first statement, but not the second. Condensation,
mold, and mildew problems regularly appear in window areas when people
try to block warm dry air from flowing over windows, and is especially
a problem with single paned and aluminum pane windows.

Yes, people do have those problems with non-thermal windows, but HVAC
design is about heating the room evenly, not defogging windows.

As for the OPs issues, during the day when the blinds are open the
windows will get plenty of ventilation and in the evening when the
blinds are closed and moved back there will be an insulating pocket of
air which will moderate the temperature differential and minimize
condensation.

As I noted, I did this in cold New England and it made a noticeable
comfort and fuel economy difference. It made no detectable difference in
condensation or mold. I rarely had any condensation except for the
kitchen and bathroom after high moisture activities and that quickly
dissipated. I also use bleach containing cleaners which inhibit mold
growth anyway.

Pete C.