Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Three-prong to two-prong plug adapter question

z spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

In its day, it was quite reliable, probably easy to install, and safe.
Keep in mind that it was never done with an eye to the house being
remodelled every few years; this was well before the days of yuppies,
house-flippers and exorbitant real-estate prices.

In some work I've done, I've even "grandfathered in" some K&T runs where
it was impractical not to. By the way, in most places in the U.S., so
far as I know, it's still legal to have K&T in your house (but not, of
course, to install it).

My gripe with it was the insulation on the runs of wire, which was
cotton impegnated with probably some kind of organic stuff, (anybody
here remember "fish paper" from old electronics?) which was just
completely deteriorating leaving little stretches of semi-bare wire. I
suppose that wouldn't be any better inside conduit, but at least it
would short out and somebody would have to fix it.

Not doubting your experience, but all the old wiring I've seen and dealt
with has had the insulation very intact; I've never seen any such bare
spots. But then again, they weren't in damp locations, which may help to
rot things.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)