Posted to alt.home.repair
Remi Remi is offline

Default Heating question

Where would I buy direction vents? Home Depot?

wrote in message
ps.com...
direction vents or covers...the simple solution.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Pete C. wrote:
Remi wrote:

I have recently moved into a house with electric baseboard heaters. My
living room has a very large window and an electric baseboard heater
below
it that runs the full length of the window. There are curtains on the
window
that we draw at night for privacy. The bottom of the curtains is about
6
inches above the baseboard heater. Last night we closed the curtains
and for
the first time turned the heat on. The room got warm, but we noticed
that a
lot of the heat was going behind the curtain and filling the space
between
the curtain and the window. Is this right? Thanks to all.

No, it's not really "right", but it's a common problem. Doesn't really
matter whether it's electric baseboard, hydronic baseboard or floor
vented forced hot air. If the window treatments (curtains, blinds, etc.)
are further forward than the baseboard or vent, when they are closed
they direct a sizable portion of the heat right out the window greatly
reducing efficiency.

In a similar situation with hydronic baseboard and vertical blinds I
installed a curtain rod bracket at each side, just above the bottom of
the blinds. At night when the blinds were closed I simply placed a
length of unobtrusive white PVC pipe across the brackets so it pushed
the blinds back against the wall and behind the face of the baseboard.
This allowed the heated air from the baseboard to go into the room
instead of behind the blinds where much heat would be lost before it
exited at the top of the blinds. This made a noticeable difference in
both room comfort and fuel bills in the cold New England winter.

Pete C.