Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Can I laminate over laminate

L C wrote:
Hello,

I have an old laminate countertop in our kitchen. I would like to just
laminate on top of the existing countertop as a "couple year" solution. We
plan to redo the entire kitchen in that time. I thought I could do that,
but the guy at the BORG told me that it would never work. The new laminate
would not stick to the old laminate.

Anyone ever do this?

Yup

Did it work?

Yup, but do not use waterbased contact cement...and scuff with 80 grit
in a beltsander.
Make sure the contact is dry but still a little bit tacky... you should
be able to swipe your hand across the dried adhesive without sticking
to it...but it should still leave a fingerprint.
The volatiles in the contact adhesive will have no place to go when
trapped between two layers of phenolic(laminate)... so dry is good.
Roll with all your might afterwards to ensure a good bond.
What are your plans for the backsplash and front edge? (Tight curves
like that will not be possible without a whole lot of localized heat
and special post-form equipment.)