Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Reinforcing concrete block wall?

On 21 Sep 2006 13:39:59 -0700, wrote:

I have a concrete block wall (foundation for a rear single-story
enclosed porch, 10 feet long, 6 blocks high... maybe 3.5-4 feet high?)
that has buckled inward (as much as 6" in center) due to moisture
freezing/expanding in the ground outside. The top course-and-a-half is

.. . .
My question: What steps can/should I take to keep the blocks where I
have (re)placed them?

.. . .
- metal mesh bolted to inside of wall (attached to every block) to take
tensile loads of future pressure on outside
- parging cement on inside/outside surfaces to keep moisture from
between blocks
- building buttresses of blocks inside (think steps of blocks,
perpendicular to wall, at say three points along length)
- piling/packing the dirt back aalong the inside wall surface
- pour a concrete/cement buttress along inside length (not easy, since
porch floor is in the way)

Metal mesh won't really keep the blocks from shifting around,
it will just keep individual blocks from popping out.
The problem with internal buttresses is that they
need a footing sufficient to carry the load of themselves
AND the redirected thrust of the soil/water on the walls.
And 4" of poured slab may not be enough, so you risk
having the buttresses punch right through your cellar
floor as the whole wall tries to roll.

In any case, I think what you want is horizontal
steel beams every 24" to 32" up the wall, held in place
by one or more of:

(A)Concrete buttresses/Pillasters.
(B)Vertical steel beams anchored in the slab
at the bottom and by wood or steel
overhead beams braced against the far wall.
(C)Stainless steel cables and turnbuckles
attached to deadmen outside the wall.

If you were going to continue living there,
I'd say dig a wide trench around the house,
and build another foundation wall about 4' out,
with arched buttresses between the two walls,
which would give you a really cool perimeter tunnel,
but that's not worth it if you're just going to
sell the house.