Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default All circuit breakers off but still have power

On 21 Sep 2006 16:01:56 -0700, "
wrote:

I have only 1 circuit breaker panel. I was tiling and need to shut off
the power to my counter outlet. I turned off every breaker but still
had power. How is this possible? Can a breaker fail and continue to
supply power to an outlet when powered off?

Is this an apartment or condo? If it is, it could be you are getting
power from the neighbors breaker panel. Not uncommon in older
apartments. I once worked in an old building with 4 apartments. Talk
about a nightmare. Everyone was paying for the neighbors power. I
was able to separate all the outlets to the proper meters, but not all
the lights. I could have done it, but the cost would have been
outrageous for the owner and he told me his price limit and said to do
the best I could.

Mark