Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Diffusing a bare bulb

wrote:
Hello All,
I am thinking about improving the ambient light in a kitchen. The
walls and the ceiling are made of concrete and I cannot install
recessed lighting. For energy efficiency reasons I would like to go
with fluorescent (either CFLs or liner). For the moment I am thinking
about linear lamps. My question is how can I make the light most
pleasing. This is for an installation outside the USA. What makes a
good diffuser? Any ideas about how one makes one's own diffuser? Is
there an easy way to diffuse the light?
The fixture is mounted directly on the ceiling and at the moment it
bare causing a lot of glare.

Thanks.

MT

If you don't have the fixture yet, why not just buy one with a diffuser
built in. It'll look okay and have no fuss.

As for the light, check the color. "Shop Lights" are a very "cold"
color. You can get natural light and some warmer bulbs that are more
pleasing on the eye.