Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default cutting straight edge on table saw ?

TimR wrote:
I have a number of rough edged 8" wide planks I need to have on straight
edge on. On my table saw with a Bessemer fence...is there a technique that
I can create a straight edge on one edge of the lumber ?

Nail/screw/clamp a piece of plywood/hardboard/mdf to the board so that
the straight edge sticks out further than the rough edge of the board.
Run the board through the saw with the straight edge along the fence.

Note that the bottom face of the board needs to be flat against the
table saw. Any twist makes this a dangerous operation. This may
require face jointing the board first before ripping the edge.

Chris