Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Older Delta Jointer question

wrote:
I've just acquired an older jointer - model 37-255 6" Delta. It's got 3
cutter heads and 17" in feed and out feed tables. Delta told me it's
3/4 horse. It's built like a bench top, but quite a bit heavier and is
mounted on a stand that originally came with the machine. I've found a
parts list on line, but Delta doesn't have any manuals. It was
discontinuted in 1985 and it retailed for $550 at that time. Can
anyone tell me anything about this jointer? Is it worth cleaning up
and using? It seems solidly built, and I could use a jointer, but I
don't want to invest time and money if it wasn't a good machine in the
first place.

I don't know the specific model, but what's to lose? If you already
have it and assuming it's not been totally trashed, what does it need
minimally to make it run? If the knives are with it, sharpen them up a
little, check that bearings aren't totally kaput, perhaps clean the
tables a little and give it a whirl...worst thing that happens is the
tables aren't aligned (or alignable) and you have a nice anchor. If it
gives a decently straight edge, then you can decide whether you want to
spend a lot of time and any actual money.