Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default What happened toThompsons Water seal?

Shopdog wrote:
I bought a new 5 gal. pail of Thompsons the other day to finish my
deck, I opened it up and its milky! What gives my other (older) single gal
is clear fluid. The look of the pail is the same but the product seems to
have changed.
Any ideas on this. I don't like the milky product, I tested it on a concrete
section of my patio and it is now blotchy. Yet a section of the patio done
with the older pail looks fine.

Searcher

I would also ask about their recommendations for use on a pop-up camper.
I assume you are going to use it on the canvas part. The old Thompson's
water seal was essentially paraffin dissolved in mineral spirits or
something similar. I don't know about the new type.

In my day, we tried to firePROOF canvas that we used over our heads, not
make a candle out of it with wax.

Maybe I'm out of my head with assumptions. It's one of my afflictions.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A professor is one who talks in