Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default OT. New online postage stamps?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:24:53 +0000, Jules put finger to keyboard and
typed:

I'm sure it's a beneficial system to some people - I just have a feeling
that to many more it'll be less convenient than stamps (so I hope RM
aren't going to remove the ability to use the latter any time soon, or use
it to justify closure of more post offices!)

I have a feeling that the new system has been introduced as a result
of two different, but complimentary, pressures:

1. Individual users, particularly in rural areas far from a post
office, who want something of the functionality of the existing
SmartStamp product without needing to pay a subscription for the
software.

2. Royal Mail's web development team who have looked at the SmartStamp
product and said "We could write an online version of this that
individuals could use for one-off printing. Wouldn't that be cool?".

Mark
--
Please help a cat in need: http://www.goodge.co.uk/cat/