Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint

Location is Miami Florida. I am going to repaint my house. Single
story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.

The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane
Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles -
same size same model but different color, since that was all they had
in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are
hard to find and book in our areas). So anyways I have now a roof with
80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white
tiles. I am considering repainting the roof.

After doing some research on the net, it seems there are a significant
amount
of people who thinks this is not a good idea because the paint will
eventually
break down and decompose after a short time under the extreme heat and rain
in Florida.

I did find this site which claims success.

http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/...histories.html

a picture of the roof with their product after application:
http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/842barrel0002.jpg

The steps a

Surface Preparation:
Treat Surface with Chlorine to Kill Mold, Mildew, Fungus
High Pressure Water Blast to Completely Clean Surface

Prime Coat:

SOMAY Product No. 777 - "PST" 100% Poly-Acrylic Primer, Sealer
Color: Clear

Intermediate Step:

SOMAY Product No. 992 - SOMAY Elastomeric "PATCH & SEAL" (Caulk) to seal
all joints

Intermediate and Finish Coats:

SOMAY Product No. 842, SOMAY Elastomeric "ROOF MASTIC", Sealer & Protector
Apply at 20 mils dry film thickness for each coat
Color: White

Total: 40 mils dry film thickness for all 3 coats

So what I don't understand is this. When they said "Intermediate Step ...
seal all joints" do they mean they seal the edge of each tile? So that
there is no water to go under any tile? and 40 mils of all 3 coasts is very
thick! This is like covering the roof completely with one continuous
layer...right?

Mc