Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson Bruce Ferguson is offline

Default Slightly OT-Compressors

I have thought about it, but I would have to get it there as the main is
towards the other end of the house. ( the panel is in the middle of the
house and the garage is on the other side of an enclosed car port, my
office. Conduit would have to be run externally) I would like to have a
sub panel as I run everything off a lighting circuit. Is there a rule
of thumb as how big the sub-panel can be?? The main is 100 amp. I am
guessing you would run your wires and terminate them with a 220 breaker
like for an oven or cloths dryer. What the would be I don't know. Then
the sub panel would have a main and then breakers for your 220 circuits
or 110 circuits. The size of these would depend on the tools attached
to them. Thanks for your input.

Bruce

William Noble wrote:
unless it's really impossible, you should consider getting 220 to where your
tools are - with 220 wire sizes are smaller, the load is better balanced,
and you can get more HP when you need it. I do my own wiring, but unless
the run is long (or you live where you just don't have 220) it should not be
expensive to get 220 to your shop/garage - code permits it everywhere I've
heard of, and if you do some prework even a real electrician should only
charge for an hour or two of work
"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
Sept. 2006 American Woodworker has an article on choosing compact
compressors and an article on plumbing your shop with hoses. I have been
looking also and maybe one day I will get one. I have found that up to 26
to 30 gallon tanks are 110 VAC and above that is 220VAC. Now my shop
doesn't have 220 and I don't see it in the future. I too have been
looking at Lowes and Home Depot. I will keep in mind the 6-8 CMF at 90
PSI. Good info from everyone, thanks

Bruce

Teejay wrote:
I'm looking for a compressor for my shop--mostly to move dust around and
clean up but also to nail & brad a few small projects--nothing like
framing or roofing.

Anyone have any suggestions? How are these Kobalt compressors Lowe's
sells? Since this is probably a one time purchase I'm less concerned with
money (up to maybe $300) than reliability.

Thanks,

Tom in Howell, NJ