Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Doc Ron Doc Ron is offline

Default Making the plunge - some further thoughts

Been thinking more about this discussion, as to what lathe to get. As
I said, probably as many opinions as people. I think, mostly, that
whatever lathe we have will work for us.
There are certainly bad pieces of technology and engineering out
there. The marketplace may get rid of them eventually, and this and
other such forums are certainly great places to spot the problems
that do exist, to help us avoid them.

This craft we practice has elements of science, engineering, art, and
beauty - that's why this old scientist loves it, he gets to use both
halves of his brain. I have had only two lathes. I used the one until
the machine's limitations became too bothersome, then I moved on.
So my advice is - research the features and ask
questions of the knowedgeable and experienced folks here. Then buy
whatever seems reasonable within your budget.
Practice, practice, take lessons, talk to turners, look at videos,
read books, join a club -- and you will be amazed at how far you get.
When you get to the point when you need to, save your pennies and move
up - or not. Ultimately, it may well be that the process we experience
and the products we make are limited more by our own abilities than by
the equipment. I think I made some pretty nice things on that old
Craftsman, even though I did have to wedge blocks under the lathe bed
to stop the vibration sometimes when I tried to work beyond its
capacity.

Good luck!