Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default OT. New online postage stamps?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:23:20 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Guy King
writes
The message
from Stuart contains these words:

Thats why I usually put sellotape over the address if I have printed out a
label,although usually I just write it with a pen .

I've found that if you print labels they slip through the post much
quicker. The machine readers can do the postcode more successfully if it
isn't hand-scrawled.

I discovered how much more expensive a larger than DL env3elope costs to
post now

As a bit of a genealogist I fairly regularly send a sae of C4 size
folded in another C4 envelope with application forms and cheques for
civil registration certificates, and have been hit by this new
charging scheme. Obviously it's nice to get a certificate unfolded -
that's why the C4 envelope. Royal Mail told us that most postage
should cost less, but when I sent mail recently it was received with a
sticker attached "..... On this occasion you have not been surcharged
but in future you may be. Please contact the sender.", so most of my
posting will cost more than hitherto.

If I use a smaller envelope I'll have to be careful of the thickness
limitation...

What puzzles me is that the Royal Mail, as it faces direct
competition, reduces its standards. One wonders whether this is being
imposed by HMG to make "competition" easier for the newcomers.

--
Frank Erskine