Posted to alt.home.repair
MiamiCuse MiamiCuse is offline

Default Painting House

Location is Miami Florida. I am going to repaint my house. Single
story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.

I need advise on the material to use.

(1) The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane
Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles -
same size same model but different color, since that was all they had
in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are
hard to find and book in our areas). So anyways I have now a roof with
80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white
tiles. Any advise what I can do paint wise? Can I paint concrete roof
tiles? Someone suggested a Elastomeric paint? If I do paint the roof
should I prime with something first? Any suggestions of brand of
elastomeric paint or prime? I have heard of some paint consists of
mildew resistant chemicals, or with reflective properties to keep house
cooler? I am a bit confused as to the best choices in my situation.

(2) As for the house exterior wall, I think the standard is one coat of
prime and two coats of paint? I will be painting it white. In the
past for interior I have used Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start, is this
good for exterior paint too? If so I think I will use that and
Benjamin Moore exterior paint.

(3) The fascia board also need to be sanded and painted. Some of the
existing paint has cracked. Wood seems to be OK. Now, do I need to
remove the aluminum gutters in order to properly sand and paint the
wood, or can I leave it on and sand and paint around it? I am not sure
which is more time consuming, any idea?

(4) There are some minor cracks near one vertical wall, and some other
cracks at the bottom near the ground. I need to seal those before
painting. What should I use to seal those? Caulk it? Stucco over it
or use some specialty sealer?

Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

MC