Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Three-prong to two-prong plug adapter question

jim evans wrote:

Instead of fooling around with those adapters, why not install a GFCI
or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter at the outlet nearest the breaker
panel and the will protect all downstream outlets.

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720244

-- jim

But it still won't give you a ground......

So, Better to HAVE a ground too, picture this.

I'm crouched on the living room floor using my good old metal bodied
electric drill with it's three prong plug in my right hand and my left
arm is braced against a radiator.

I drill through the sheetrock and hit the wire behind it going to the
laundry dryer's 240 V receptical. I'd get zapped, and that ungrounded
GFCI outlet my drill was plugged into wouldn't even know it. If there
was a real ground connected to that receptical, The dryer's breaker
would trip, and I'd still be breathing.

Long shot, but you can bet that if something bad can happen, it will
happen to me. Like, if I bought a cemetary, people would stop dying. G

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)