Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default 28mm run from cold storage tank to hot water cylinder

The message . com
from contains these words:

thanks Roger, appreciate the long detailed response.

Yes, one based on no experince.

As I said before don't listen to Dribble. Unless you know the subject
well you can't tell whether anything he is saying has any value, and if
you do know the subject you don't need to bother reading the rubbish
Dribble routinely puts out. The most that can be said for Dribble is
that he is very good at cutting and pasting but when it comes to
thinking problems through you can almost guarantee he will get it wrong.

just to be clear (as clearly I'm no expert plumber:-) ) the problem is
essentially caused because the head of water between the top of the
cold header and the top of the hot cylinder has not been greatly
reduced because I moved the hot water cylinder in to the loft along
with the cold header.

From the cold tank to the hot tap you have a pipe. In between this
pipe you
have a fat pipe, called a cylinder. This fat pipe can be heated up. The
less restrictions you have to flow in the complete run of pipe, inc'
cylidner, to the tap, the problem will disappear.

So according to Dribble if you upgraded the pipe to the hot tap from
22mm to 28mm your problem would at least be reduced. The plain truth is
that that would just make matters worse.

--
Roger Chapman