Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert to frost free

Eric in North TX wrote:
I have a big GE Monogram side by side that I'm doing some repairs on, I
noticed there is a wire on the condenser fan that goes to a molex and
terminates there. I checked it out and if supplied with a common, the
fan runs continuously. This one and many others like it are plagued
with icing up occasionally. not a particularly big deal, just sometimes
the auto defrost gets behind, especially when it is humid. What would
be the harm in giving it a common and letting it run. I've even
considered a switch on it that would leave it optional.

How is a fan running constantly on the condenser supposed to stop icing
up inside the fridge?