Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Dura Vic Dura is offline

Default Three phase for a resistance load??

Hello,

The engineers in sci.engr.electrical.sys-protection were useless on
this question, so I thought I would ask it here where the *real*
knowledge is.

The question is regarding the use of 3-phase power. I noticed an
electric pottery kiln the other day that used 3-phase power. It was
about a 6 or 7 kw model. As I understand it, electric kilns are
resistance loads, just like a toaster oven.

I had always thought that 3-phase power was an advantage only for
induction loads, and had no advantage over single-phase for resistance
loads. Is that correct? If so, what would the advantage be for a
3-phase kiln such as those shown at

http://www.skutt.com/products/elec_req.htm ?

Thanks for any enlightenment.
--