Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] empress2454@wowway.com is offline

Default Replacing a wall thermostat

theromstats are low votage units, the AC and furnace will shut
themselves off as soon as you disconnect the thermostat. it may be
anywhere from 2 to 6 wires or more for complex systems. fortunately
there is a standard color system for the wires. unfortunately this
means the installer knew that. normaly the terminals are labled for
color, so you can just look and see what terminals are being used by
what wire and move the wires to the new thermostat.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

DrMega wrote:
Hello group. I had a typical round mercury wall thermostat until a
drunk guy (no, not me :-) shoulder-planted into it and busted off the
dial. I'm thinking of replacing it with a battery-powered digital model
and a preliminary Internet search indicated it should be a pretty
simple two-wire job. But after reading some posts in here I'm a little
more concerned (I'm a fairly new homeowner and not super handy).
Questions a

- Do I need to cut the power to the gas boiler, the hallway, or both?
- I'm totally lost with voltage compatability issues - how do I
determine this?
- If I totally screw this up, how will I know (other than the
thermostat not working at all)?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Chris, home repair newbie