Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Stainless steel deck screws: Phillips or Square-Drive?

Read all the responses to date {09/20} and had to 'put my oar in' . . .

1} As a boatbuilder, almost all the fasteners I use are Stainless, with the
occasional Marine Bronze. {'softer' then the Stainless}

2} I now use the 'square drive' almost exclusively . . . except where a
particular size is unavailable.

3} My supplies come from McFeeley's . . . their catalog has some nice tips
on how to use different materials.

3a} A 3 inch screw has/needs a lot of torque. {At that length I'd be tempted
to use a #12 or even a #14 - especially for the hard woods used for
decking}.

4} My recommendation, although slowing the progress a bit, could save a lot
of grief . . . a} DRILL pilot holes and b} LUBE the screws. The CHEAPEST and
best is a simple Bees Wax Toilet Ring !! About $2.oo at any 'home center'.
Cut it up {or carefully melt it} and put portions into small closable
containers {I used 35mm film cans}for the tool bags, or a 'travel sized'
empty solid deodorant container {I have one in the bench drawer}.

5} If REALLY 'anal' - glue a HARD STEEL screw to a bit and use it to
'Pre-Thread' the pilot holes. {I sometimes do this with the Bronze screws,
and ALWAYS with 'dead soft' Brass.}

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a deck and have found the least-expensive stainless
screws. For the size I want (#10x3") it's the same price for Phillips
or square-drive. I like square-drive for most applications, but
stainless is another animal, and I don't have enough experience to know
if possibly Phillips will work better for these deck screws.

I have searched rec.woodworking for advice, but haven't found any
directly applilcable.

Any thoughts?