Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Any Alarm Gurus Out There?

"malc" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
My in laws have gone on holiday and I am doing some decorating and
looking after the house. The problem is the burglar alarm goes off every
day. I set the alarm at approx 3PM and I get a call from their neighbour
at 8 to 8-30 PM saying "the alarm is going off". The electricity has
never been switched off by me for decorating purposes. When I look at
the event log, it is always a different zone so that discounts a spider
etc crawling over a passive. Two of the activations have been 1 x door
contacts (not surface type) and 1 x panic button! I have now left the
alarm off to save the neighbours any more grief. Why would it go off
after 5 hours or so? Any ideas before I call an engineer?

Cheers

John

It sounds like the alarm panel is knackered. If had been the same
detector I would have said to reduce the sensitivity or amount of
movements it needs before triggering. If it was just PIRs it could have
been one of them getting hit with direct sunlight.

Not at 8PM at night surely?

Are you sure the panic button is wired on it's own circuit and not just to
the nearest PIR in a cowboy fashion? The same for the door contacts if
they are looped in to another circuit.

All on their own circuits

Door contacts can go faulty - they corrode inside afer a while.

Maybe but what about the other zones?

You might need to get a load of ferrite cores and clip them over the
cables and mains cable just on the outside of the panel to stop any nearby
radio transmitter interference.

It's been OK for the last 12 years nothing new electrically fitted recently.

Something must be happening around 8-30pm, any large radio aerials on
nearby houses?

No.

Any taxi firms nearby?

No.

I got my alarm engineer out today (mine is on a contract). He checked the
batteries (All OK), checked the electricity supply (OK) and checked the
wiring with some implement at the panel end (OK). He the went through the
activation log and decided the panel was on it's way out. There was even an
activation on a fire detection circuit and there are no fire detectors
present.

So I will wait for the outlaws to return and give them the good news!

Thanks all

John