Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Art Deco Art Deco is offline

Default Any Alarm Gurus Out There?

On 20 Sep 2006 07:09:20 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Art Deco writes:

Speaking of backup batteries, is there usually just one in a typical
alarm system - located in the main panel box? Or could there be one
outside where the alarm bell is too? I need to replace mine and I'd
like to do it with the minimum of noise.

There's usually one in the external sounder too.

Thanks. I was wondering about that.
Presumably opening up the external sounder box will set off the
"tamper" mode?

And a second question - are these batteries mostly of the 12V 6.0 Ah
"Yuasa" motorcycle type, as I've been told?

The ones in panels are usually 12V 7Ah (same size as older 6Ah) sealed
lead acid. However, they are designed for float/standby operation.

I've seen that stated on some, yes.

Some panels will have smaller versions. Smaller ones can be more
expensive, because the 7Ah type is often cheaper due to the high
numbers of then used. External sounder usually use small nicads.

Presumably easily available ones.