Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Glazing an external door

fred wrote:
In article . com,
writes
Butyl rubber glazing compound is expensive but it works, it never completely
sets or cracks, and is easy to cut, remove/clean up etc afterwards.....it
has all the workability of putty but none of the disadvantages.

Speaking from ignorance, is this like putty on a roll (but better), ...
what's the score with this stuff? On reflection, is it
on a roll at all or is it in a tub?

I think we're all talking about Butyl 66 glazing tape (on a roll) or
compound (in a tub). I've only used tape, but I've used it extensively
(50ish windows).

Comes in at least 2 thicknesses (e.g. 3mm), comes in several widths
(e.g. 10mm) and several colours (black, brown, white). On a roll, it is
separated by waxed paper, so you simply unroll and cut a piece to
length and press it into place, or unroll directly into place.

Choose a width that matches the glazing rebate on your frame, get
exactly the right one and accurate placement is easy. You're aiming for
the tape to very slightly overhang the reabte. You need good, tight
butt joins between the strips around the window frame too. With lots of
small similar windows, it's easier to prepare lots of accurate-length
strips to apply.

When you're ready, strip off the waxed tape and apply the glass (you
know about the glass being cut slightly undesize and raised slightly on
blocks don't you?). The butyl rubber will pick up dust and grit like
anything, so make sure the rebate was clean, the glass was clean etc.
Press the glass very firmly into the rebate and check very carefully
that it has sealed all round, with no non-contact pockets.

The only diy shed I've seen selling tape is Wickes, and it looked to be
identical to what I've bought from 2 different glaziers.

Yes, that's the stuff I meant and use, same technique.

For beaded windows you can use any "general purpose sealant". Apply from
cartridge on both sides of the glass. Water based so easy to wipe off
any excess.
Linseed putty will almost certainly cause the glass to rattle in time.