Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default Flash corruption problem.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:11:03 +0000 (UTC) (Geoffrey S.
Mendelson) wrote in Message id: :

bab wrote:
Hi all,
I am using MSP430F149 controller in one of my application. I am facing
problem of flash corruption for calibration data I stored in
controller.
Hs somebody faced same problem of MSP430F149 flash corruption Or any
other controller ?
If yes, pls let me know the reasons for flash corruption and remedy if
any.

Is the corruption occurring during write cycles, or does it happen after
the device is written to?

Have you checked the errata listing for this device?
http://focus.ti.com/lit/er/slaz017a/slaz017a.pdf

All flash chips have limited write capability. Some chips actually
move data around so that when you write it, you are not writing
to the same spot each time. USB memory sticks have this implemented.

This is referred to as "wear leveling"

The "disposable" digital camera sold a few years ago did this in
software,

Eventually the memory becomes unuseable in spots that are written often,
for example if you use a memory chip as a DOS formated file system,
the FAT (file allocation tables) and master directory get written many
times as you write a file.

If for another example, you are writting the value of a sample to the
same spot every millisecond, the chip will become unuseable in around
a minute, depending upon the chip.

Of course, if you have a application that writes to a memory location that
often, you should be using SRAM or DRAM. The device the OP is using has a
minimum life expectancy of 10K write/erase cycles. That being said, most
modern flash memory devices are good for 100K write cycles or more.