Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul D Paul D is offline

Default Short vs Long Rip Fence

Why do 12 runs through saw bench readjusting each time when you have the
correct tool whic would do the job in 1 or 2 rund with no setup time? You
mast have a lot more spare time on your hands than me.

wrote in message
oups.com...

charlie b wrote:

is there any
reason why you wouldn't even consider going with a short fence?

charlie b

even though I have a pretty nice jointer, I often find it convenient to
straighten boards on the table saw. set the fence for the nominal width
of the board, run it through, flip it, run it through, increment the
fence 1/64th or so, repeat. pretty soon you have a board that is
straight and has parallel edges. the straightness you can achieve with
this method is affected by the length of your fence- the longer the
better.