Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cornytheclown@hotmail.com is offline

Default Grounding

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
I was putting up some new lights at my house. The first couple were
wired so that the bare metal ground on the light and in the house wiring
were connected together using a wire nut. There were also a couple where
these two wires were connected to a screw on the mounting bracket. I
went ahead and just wirenutted the two together as above. Now I get to
thinking any particularly important reason I shouldn't do that and use
the screw on the mounting instead?

Were these metal boxes? If so, I believe the ground should be attached to
the box but don't quote me on that. Hopefully an Electrician
will come along soon! I have always tied the wire to the box with a
grounding screw, unless the box is plastic, then I just wire them together
about 15 times and cap it off with a wire nut.
Cheers,
cc

If its a metal box or metal fixture you want the ground wire connected
to the box or fixture also...this way you wont get the crap knocked out
of you if a hot wire comes into contact with the box or fixture.