Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Mystery Laptop (Compaq Presario 1060) Problem

"Michael Kennedy" ) writes:
Yeah, but don't laptop drives typically cost more than $10? I havn't priced
on in ages so I don't know..

If it were me I'd just clean them and lube them both and see what happens.

- Mike

Certainly they used to, as was the case with most laptop components.
They tended to not be standard in the past, so you paid more. I was
under the impression that it wasn't just laptop versus desktop, but
the parts tended to be specific to a manufacturer, so there was no
such thing as a "laptop floppy" but a floppy drive for Brand A and
a different floppy drive for Brand B. That tends to keep prices high.

I have no idea whether that's the case in more recent years or not.

Michael

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Heck, and I thought this was a *repair* group. Well, OK, I guess
replacing
drives to repair the laptop qualifies but the most likely explanation for
his
problems are that they got dirty. And that's a few minutes and not of
your
very valuable time. ;-)

If my popup toaster or other $8 appliance dies I may well poke around
inside of it. But even I - who once made a living fixing small appliances
and the like - don't bother now. When floppies were $200 - $300 each we
fixed them. At $10 it ain't going to happen.