Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
malc malc is offline

Default Any Alarm Gurus Out There?

"John" wrote in message
My in laws have gone on holiday and I am doing some decorating and looking
after the house. The problem is the burglar alarm goes off every day. I
set the alarm at approx 3PM and I get a call from their neighbour at 8 to
8-30 PM saying "the alarm is going off". The electricity has never been
switched off by me for decorating purposes. When I look at the event log,
it is always a different zone so that discounts a spider etc crawling over
a passive. Two of the activations have been 1 x door contacts (not
surface type) and 1 x panic button! I have now left the alarm off to save
the neighbours any more grief. Why would it go off after 5 hours or so?
Any ideas before I call an engineer?

Cheers

John

It sounds like the alarm panel is knackered. If had been the same detector
I would have said to reduce the sensitivity or amount of movements it needs
before triggering. If it was just PIRs it could have been one of them
getting hit with direct sunlight.
Are you sure the panic button is wired on it's own circuit and not just to
the nearest PIR in a cowboy fashion? The same for the door contacts if they
are looped in to another circuit. Door contacts can go faulty - they
corrode inside afer a while.
You might need to get a load of ferrite cores and clip them over the cables
and mains cable just on the outside of the panel to stop any nearby radio
transmitter interference.
Something must be happening around 8-30pm, any large radio aerials on nearby
houses? Any taxi firms nearby? A passing taxi always used to trigger my
alarm which was annoying as the neighbour arrived home at the same time each
day. When the radio was used, off it went until I use the ferrite rings.
Some alarm panels do not meet any standard in terms of RF shielding as they
are in plastic cases. The same goes for PIRs.

I hope you manage to get it sorted. I would be tempted to go and set it,
but wait outside at 8-30pm to see what is happening or ask the neighbours.

The only other suggestion is a call to LIVING TV to get Yvette Fielding
over!