Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Glazing an external door

In article , Phil L
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Phil L

Putty is about the best you can use, or a non setting glazing
compound if it's not going to be overpainted:
http://www.hodgson-sealants.co.uk/pr...putty_glazing-
compounds.php#Butyl66

Don't be tempted to use silicone - it holds the water in the recess
and eventaully rots the timber...cue the uproar.

Uproar :-! (was tempted to use caps but thankfully refrained)

As a contrast, I've seen too many of such installations fail with
water ****ing in past the panes (or through the joints) so would
recommend a cautious back fill or total fill with silicone. Truly,
silicone is an evil substance for getting where it is not intended
but sealing of multi-paned windows & doors is (IMO) one of the
acceptable uses.

If done properly and with great care, it is a good glazing sealant, the
trouble is, it's w-a-y too easy to make a balls up with it - I've seen
'professionals' do it wrong....they all try to do the same thing - avoid
having it ooze out upwards where the glass meets the rebate or the beadings,
presumably because they don't want to cut it/clean it off the glass
afterwards, end result is that it's left below the timber line and a gap is
present, usually internally *and* externally which holds the rainwater *and*
condensation!!

Totally agree, potentially good if done properly, evil when (frequently)
misused.

If the door is intended to be semi-secure I'd follow dom's advice of
taping the glass in (6.4mm laminated) followed by a back fill of
silicone and fitting of glazing beads before it sets.

Butyl rubber glazing compound is expensive but it works, it never completely
sets or cracks, and is easy to cut, remove/clean up etc afterwards.....it
has all the workability of putty but none of the disadvantages.

Speaking from ignorance, is this like putty on a roll (but better), I use
double sided foam 'security' tape to protect vulnerable sites then back-fill
with silicone as I said, what's the score with this stuff? On reflection, is it
on a roll at all or is it in a tub?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla