Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon Gideon is offline

Default Removing old grease from garage door opener?

I always thought that number 1 fuel oil and kerosene where pretty
much the same entity.

For the purposes of cleaning, I also assume that kerosene, number
1 fuel oil, number 2 fuel oil, Stoddard solvent and similar items are
all equally reasonable choices. All you want/need is low cost, low
volatility and good solvent properties.

Ok, I'll confess that I sometimes use ether, gasoline and other
nasties for cleaning. Just don't tell the insurance company.

Gideon

mm wrote in message ...
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:31:36 GMT, "Gideon" wrote:

Use something safe and inexpensive as the solvent. Kerosene
(fuel oil)

Around here, kerosene isn't what is commonly meant by fuel oil.

would seem like a very good choice. Brake cleaner
works extremely well, but it is both expensive and the fumes
are very unhealthy.