Posted to rec.woodworking
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Stainless steel deck screws: Phillips or Square-Drive?

B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:
I am building a deck and have found the least-expensive stainless
screws. For the size I want (#10x3") it's the same price for Phillips
or square-drive. I like square-drive for most applications, but
stainless is another animal, and I don't have enough experience to know
if possibly Phillips will work better for these deck screws.

I haven't found any application where I've preferred Phillips over square.

I agree with Barry. I, too, have never found an application where I've
preferred phillips to square head screws.

Given that stainless steel is softer, I think it would give square drive
an even added benefit since square heads don't strip out as easily as
phillips.

Besides, it's hip to be square.