Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Glazing an external door

In article , Phil L
writes
robgraham wrote:
My daughter has asked me to glaze an external hardwood door she is
having made for her. It's a small pane configuration rather than one
large sheet of glass. I understand that the joiner will be supplying
the beads and the glass will come from the local glazier.

What do I bed the glass into ? I would have thought that something
flexible should be used to account for the slight flexing of the door.
Putty I would have thought would in due course set hard and crack.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Putty is about the best you can use, or a non setting glazing compound if
it's not going to be overpainted:
http://www.hodgson-sealants.co.uk/pr...putty_glazing-
compounds.php#Butyl66

Don't be tempted to use silicone - it holds the water in the recess and
eventaully rots the timber...cue the uproar.

Uproar :-! (was tempted to use caps but thankfully refrained)

As a contrast, I've seen too many of such installations fail with water
****ing in past the panes (or through the joints) so would recommend a
cautious back fill or total fill with silicone. Truly, silicone is an evil
substance for getting where it is not intended but sealing of multi-paned
windows & doors is (IMO) one of the acceptable uses.

If the door is intended to be semi-secure I'd follow dom's advice of taping
the glass in (6.4mm laminated) followed by a back fill of silicone and fitting
of glazing beads before it sets.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla