Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default Fixing Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor Update 2

PaulD wrote:
I've got a busy day ahead so I may not get to this for another day
or two. I did think that the spark plugs looked questionable, so I
will go ahead and replace them.
I would comment that since that battery was recharged, the engine
is cranking better. Again, it is weak cranking, but it is much better
than what I previously described as "barely cranking" at all.

Was the engine cranking strongly right up to the point when the
stalling episode occurred, or was the cranking speed deteriorating
slowly over the period preceding the stalling episode?

One thing that I had not mentioned before that may be relevant.
Before all this occurred, I occasionally had the following happen. I
would turn on the engine and it would not crank. I waited a few
seconds and tried again. The engine started, no problem. This was
very intermittent

This can be a sign of a weak battery, or bad cable connections, or a
starter motor starting to go bad. You said you had the battery
checked out, so I will assume they checked it properly and it is OK.
The troubleshooting procedures mentioned in the previous post should
help isolate it to either a cable problem or a starter problem.

However, as long as you have the plugs out, you should try one more
thing to help eliminate another possibility (valve problem). Make
sure the plug wires are far away from the spark plug holes and well
grounded so that there are no sparks. Have a helper crank the engine,
and put your thumb over each spark plug hole. You should feel
alternating compression and suction in each hole, and they should feel
the same. If they feel different, or you don't feel both compression
and suction, you've got a more serious problem inside the engine.