Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Ground Rod Diameter vs grounding performance question

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:26:20 -0400, wrote:

On 18 Sep 2006 21:54:55 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

but if the code wants 25 ohms max to earth but it lets you do two rods
& not test?????......where is the performance in that? It's an
assumption that it's probably "good enough" but it could be pretty
bad, couldn't it?

I have been involved in this a few times. The thinking is that if 2
rods will not get you 25 ohms 20 rods probably won't do much better.

Amen brother, this concept is so hard to get people to understand.

But once they understand, they start crying about GFCI's not working
then, and I have to shake my head and walk away. Unless I'm charging
by the hour, then I'll take all day to explain how GFCI's work, and
normal breaker overcurrent, and short circuit protection work with no
grounding electrode conductor. Oh with drawings too!

I love when people agree to pay me by the hour!

tom

Where we did need performance (radio towers, toll booths etc) we went
to extremes that a normal residential contractor wouldn't be able to
and still have an affordable home.
Early in the construction process the Ufer (concrete encased
electrode) is probably the best. If you are grounded to the foundation
of the building, at least you are safe in reference to the concrete
floor in the garage or the tile in the ground floor bathroom